Mailchimp - Atlanta, GA - 2016-Present
Software Engineering Manager
- Conceived and hosted an internal management conference for 95 participants covering topics on the craft of management.
- Authored resources and hosted workshops to improve management practices with a focus on actionability. Topics included Streamlining Manager Handoffs, Improving Morale, Clarifying Expectations in Matrix Management, and Creating Jira dashboards for Agile teams.
- Created and led a working group around Ownership which produced five case studies, established best practices for successful ownership transfer, and documented owners for all batch jobs, resulting in faster resolution of war room events.
- Led multiple growth teams focused on improving user acquisition and feature activation through Information Architecture, Navigation, and Activity Feed improvements resulting in an estimated 2MM Annual Recurring Revenue.
- Created a management course for the company’s official mentorship program to encourage skill development in employees from a variety of backgrounds who may seek roles in management.
- Responsible for delivery management of major in-app features including conversion of forms to single opt-in and GDPR compliance updates. Orchestrated connection of twelve additional e-commerce platforms and removal of one. Developed foundation for Behavioral Targeting for automations and created tracking pixel, which powers connecting sites with Google/Facebook Ads. Migrated support platform from live person to Zendesk.
- Managed a staff of seven engineering reports while leading a separate cross-functional team of 25 in disciplines including design, research and marketing.
- Drove implementation and change management strategy to convert big deployments to CI/CD, including needs assessment, strategic communication plan, implementation, and post-conversion support.
- Served in a leadership role for Kimp Radio, Mailchimp’s in house streaming radio station, with responsibility for scheduling rosters, training DJ’s, and distributing weekly communications.
Pindrop - Atlanta, GA - 2015-2016
Software Development Manager
- Supervised six engineers including mentoring, performance evaluation, and monitoring of project contribution from initiation to delivery
- Developed cross-team engineering evaluation program to identify pain points/create initiatives for improvements and continue to monitor solution implementation
- Managed remote contractor team of four engineers and three in-house engineers for install and upgrade project which reduced upgrade time from six hours to one hour
- Led cross-functional initiative between Engineering, Quality Assurance, and Product teams to determine inter-team contracts and improve communication to ensure efficient outcomes
- Created new hire orientation program featuring buddy system and goal evaluation milestones
Tapjoy - Atlanta, GA - 2012-2015
- Managed three direct reports and led up to seven employees across two sub teams
- Performed Scrummaster duties including sprint planning/standups/retrospectives/postmortems
- Led planning efforts for yearly key objectives and determined a dependency matrix for feature development
- Developed key parts of custom backbone.js Admin Management Dashboard
- Coordinated timelines with remote contractor team
- Created hyper-performant compound ad unit system using CoffeeScript
- Developed angular.js glossary site to help onboard new employees
- Authored one-off scripts to correct database errors
- Maintained inherited Ember.js app used by sales team to demonstrate potential advertising reach
Remark Media - Atlanta, GA - 2010-Present
- Load tested and optimized load times and throughput with Apache Benchmark and XDebug
- Created several MapReduce and data migration scripts for MongoDB
- Helped implement API in Lithium framework for social media platform
- Implemented frontend to API functionality using Backbone.js and Require.js
Threespot Media - Washington, DC - 2007-2010
Sr. Software Engineer / Technical Lead
- Supervised development team when serving as Technical Lead on American Civil Liberties Union, Peace Corps, and Humane Society website redesigns
- Served as Tech Team representative on Threespot Process Team, an inter-departmental committee focused on increasing company efficiency and team building
- Led technical design and development of 10+ PHP websites and applications with project scopes that included custom CMS, museum curation webapp, multi-site company wiki, and social networking webapp
- Developed additional functionality for existing webapp in Ruby on Rails built around Harvest API that allowed for budget tracking not available in Harvest’s native application
- Taught cross-training classes to members of technology and design team (topics included PHP, jQuery, and Ardunio microcontroller)
- Completed six-week Python/Django class
The University of Georgia - Athens, GA - 1996-1999
BA, Computer Science
- Activities and Societies: Music Director at WUOG ,the campus radio station. Co-founded Universirty of Georgia Model Rocket Club.